Mechanical & Electrical Engineer Ref. 2757
At GCHQ, we unlock the complex world of data and communications to keep the UK and its citizens safe, both in the real world and online. Working closely with our British Intelligence partners in MI5 and MI6, we protect the UK from threats including serious organised crime, terrorism, and cyber-attacks. A role in GCHQ means you’ll have varied and fascinating work in a supportive and encouraging environment that puts the emphasis on teamwork.
Estates are looking to bolster their Subject Matter Expert (SME) team for Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) to cover their Estates Portfolio in UK and overseas. As a SME M&E you will provide technical support to Portfolio Project delivery team on aspects of design validation, M&E compliance, statutory legislation, authority standards validation, project snagging, equipment factory acceptance testing and M&E site control.
• Maintaining and delivering industry standards and best practice, across Estates in supporting Mission delivery.
• Production and development of project Statement of Requirements for wide ranging and diverse projects and contract deliverables.
• Assist in M&E plant and equipment failure investigation, in addition to conducting condition survey of strategic and critical plant and equipment.
• You will be responsible for providing daily support to our Estates management and project teams on a varied and wide-ranging aspects of M&E services in support of the Authorities Mission.
• You will be the focal point for providing support on all aspects of associated M&E infrastructure and critical assets throughout the estate.
• Have a close working relationship with the Total Facilities Management (TFM) provider on all aspects of M&E delivery, operation, and maintenance.
• Provide M&E support during Client/TFM collaborative auditing of the TFM Integrated Management System.
• Provide support to the Estates Outage Manager on all aspect of outage delivery from outage planning through to outage site control and support.
You will have a wide range of mechanical and electrical knowledge relevant to buildings infrastructure and services, applicable technical skills, and communication skills. The ideal candidate will have a solid M&E background with recognised technical qualifications, supported by relevant recent experience.
• Significant knowledge and experience with respect to HV/LV distribution, emergency standby systems, power generation, Data Centre power and cooling.
• Considerable knowledge of mechanical and electrical planned maintenance systems and CAFM systems.
• Good working knowledge of BS7671 and associated electrical installation, design, testing and inspection experience.
• Understand HV/LV electrical safe systems of work, associated electrical legislation, with experience in a safe systems of work appointment.
• A good understanding of FM Hard Services delivery, experience in conducting FM and/or M&E service audits of FM service providers and sub-contractors.
• You will have strong interpersonal skills, able to work the Estates Team, develop and grow the partnership with our TFM provider.
• Be prepared to act on your own initiative and drive tasks through to a successful conclusion.
• Good organisational abilities, positive attitude, and pragmatic approach to problems, looking for solutions not obstacles, are essential.
• Communication and Knowledge sharing - Intermediate
• Corporate Vision and Efficiency - Intermediate
• Change and Innovation - Intermediate
• Analysis and Decision Making - Intermediate
• Contribution to Delivery - Higher
• Managing the Customer Relationship - Intermediate
• Working with and Leading Others - Higher
You can familiarise yourself with the general competencies we use to assess the aptitude of candidates here - Recruitment Process
If you’re excited about working with us and think you have some of what we’re looking for but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet… why not just give it a go!
Training and Development
CPD will be provided to bridge any gaps in knowledge/experience, including but not restricted to HV Appointed Persons course(s), LV design, First Aid.
You will be expected to work towards achieving a professional status such as an Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineering (CEng)
Estates is committed to CPD the successful candidate will have the training and development opportunities tailored to your needs and requirements for the role
Rewards and Benefits
You’ll receive a starting salary of £36,836 on a scale that extends to £40,262 plus a concessionary payment of £2,330
• 25 Days Annual Leave automatically rising to 30 days after 5 years' service, and an additional 10.5 days public and privilege holidays
• Opportunities to be recognised through our employee performance scheme
• Interest-free season ticket loan
• Excellent pension scheme
• Cycle to work scheme
• Facilities such as a gym, restaurant and on-site coffee bars (at some locations)
• Paid parental and adoption leave.
At GCHQ diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission. To protect the UK, we need a truly diverse workforce that reflects the society we serve. This includes diversity in every sense of the word: those with different backgrounds, ages, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, ways of thinking and those with disabilities or neurodivergent conditions. We therefore welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including those from groups that are under-represented in our workforce such as women, those from an ethnic minority background, people with disabilities and those from low socio-economic backgrounds.
We’re Disability Confident
GCHQ are proud to have achieved Leader status within the DWP’s Disability Confident scheme. This is aimed at encouraging employers to think differently about disability and take action to improve how they recruit, retain, and develop disabled people. Being Disability Confident, we aim to offer a person-to-person interview to any candidate who self-identifies as disabled and meets the essential criteria for the role. This is our ‘Offer of Interview’ (OOI). To secure an interview for this vacancy, the essential criteria (in order of application process) are:
• Passing the hiring managers application sift.
What to Expect
Our recruitment process is fair, transparent, and based on merit. Here is a brief overview of each stage, in order
• Application sift, looking at your experience and technical skills for the role
• Virtual Technical and competency-based Interview
• If successful, you will receive a conditional offer of employment, subject to vetting
Please note, you must successfully pass each stage of the process to progress to the next. Your application may take around 6 - 9 months to process including vetting, so we advise you continue any current employment until you have received your final job offer.
Before You Apply
To work at GCHQ, you need to be a British citizen or hold dual British nationality. You can read our full eligibility criteria here.
This role requires the highest security clearance, known as Developed Vetting (DV). It’s something everyone in the UK Intelligence Community undertakes. You can find out more about the vetting process here.
Please note we have a strict drugs policy, so once you start your application, you can’t take any recreational drugs and you’ll need to declare your previous drug usage at the relevant stage.
The role is based in Manchester or Cheltenham, so you’ll need to live within a commutable distance. Please consider any financial implications and practicalities before submitting an application, as we do not offer relocation costs.
Please note, you should only launch your application from within the UK. If you are based overseas, you should wait until you visit the UK to launch an application. Applying from outside the UK will impact on our ability to progress your application. You should not discuss your application, other than with your partner or a close family member.
Right to Withdraw Statement:
Please be aware that we withhold the right to bring forward the closing date for this role from the original closing date once a certain number of applications have been received. Please be mindful of this and submit your application at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.