Critical Infrastructure Cyber Security Lead Ref.2126
The National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) is a part of UK government whose vision is to make the UK the safest place to live and do business online. A critical mission at a critical time.
We currently have exciting opportunities right at the heart of things in Manchester, where we work with the North West Cyber community, including new start-ups, academia, industry and all levels of government to deliver our mission.
Would you like to play a pivotal role in NCSC’s work to improve the cyber security of UK Critical National Infrastructure (CNI)?
As a technical lead within the NCSC Capability’s CNI team, you will help address cyber security issues across a range of CNI sectors and topics including, but not limited to, Energy, Finance, Transport, and Smart Cities. You will have the opportunity to investigate old and new CNI technologies; identify potential risks and develop mitigation strategies to defend against the UK’s most significant adversaries. You will work in partnership with a broad set of stakeholders including Industry, Academia, the UK Intelligence Community, and International Partners to shape the security of future CNI solutions.
What will the successful candidate be doing?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing NCSC team in Manchester which will play a key role in driving efforts to improve the cyber security of UK Critical Infrastructure.
As a technical lead within the NCSC Capability CNI team, your role will include:
• Leading efforts to develop and mature NCSC’s knowledge and influence across one or more critical infrastructure sectors and the technologies they depend upon.
• Close working with NCSC customers to identify cyber security issues of prominence and provide technical leadership to shape solutions.
• Applying your understanding of technologies and threat(s) to influence security architectures and best practices.
• Building and nurturing technical relationships with a range of stakeholders, including Industry, Academia, and International Partners.
• Opportunities to influence the direction of technical research at a national level.
Who are you looking for?
You should have:
• A degree or equivalent through evidence of relevant work in a STEM, scientific or research-based discipline
• Demonstrable business, leadership, and technical skills
• Subject matter expertise in cyber security issues relevant to Critical National Infrastructure
• Knowledge of technology trends and business drivers relevant to Critical Infrastructure
• Either a strong cyber security background with foundational knowledge of operational technology (OT) and OT cyber security practices OR
A strong engineering and operational technology background, with knowledge of cyber security and related cyber security practices
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience leading technical teams
• Strong representation and customer facing skills
The following would also be advantageous:
• Formal relevant IT and/or OT Cyber Security qualifications and/or certifications
• Familiarity with relevant security standards (ISA/IEC62443)
• An understanding of threats, vulnerabilities and exploitation methods within OT environments and associated mitigation techniques.
• Experience in technical consultancy type roles
Please include in your application:
• Any relevant certifications and qualifications
• Evidence of relevant cyber security experience
The successful applicant will need to have:
• Communication and Knowledge sharing - Intermediate
• Corporate Vision and Efficiency - Intermediate
• Change and Innovation - Intermediate
• Analysis and Decision Making - Higher
• Contribution to Delivery - Higher
• Managing the Customer Relationship - Higher
• Working with and Leading Others - Higher
If you’re excited about working with us and think you have some of what we’re looking for but aren’t sure if you’re 100% there yet… why not just give it a go!
Training & Development
Benefits we offer
At NCSC and GCHQ, we are proud of our inclusive and supportive working environment that’s designed to encourage open minds and attitudes. As an organisation that values and nurtures talent, we are committed to helping you fulfill your potential. With comprehensive training and development opportunities, tailored to your needs and the requirements of your work, we will enable you to flourish in your role and perform to the very best of your abilities.
• Access to learning and development tailored to your role and support to gain professional qualifications and certifications.
• An environment that supports a range of flexible working options (including a flexible working hours scheme).
• A culture which encourages inclusion and diversity.
• Support to gain professional qualifications and certifications
• A civil service pension.
• 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 days based on length of service.
Diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission. We recognise how vital it is to reflect the diverse communities we seek to protect. Having diverse backgrounds, ethnicities, and ways of thinking helps ensure that we always challenge each other and make sure that we are getting it right. We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including from underrepresented groups.
Starting salary of £43,957 plus the opportunity to qualify for specialist skills payments ranging from £5,000 to £30,000+ per annum.
To apply for this position, you must meet our nationality, residency requirements. You’ll find more details here.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we also guarantee to interview all disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for our roles.
Once we have established that you meet our eligibility criteria, the next steps of this selection process are:
Likely to include a paper sift followed by a competency-based interview with technical questions. Interviews will be held via Microsoft teams.
A DV is required for this role. All successful applicants will need to acquire a DV if not already held:
The closing date for application is 7 October 2020, however if we received the amount of applications required, we may close the vacancy early. Applicants are encouraged to apply promptly to avoid disappointment. We reserve the right to close the advert early.
If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks of the closing date, unfortunately you have been unsuccessful.