Security Researcher/Consultant Ref.1414
GCHQ, the longest standing code-breaking intelligence agency in the UK, is offering you an exciting opportunity working for the NCSC. The NCSC is the UK’s authority on Cyber Security, working closely with UK operators, international vendors and central government on the security of the UK’s critical national telecommunications infrastructure.
The Telecoms security group within the National Cyber Security Centre are a small but expanding team, whose main responsibility is to help make the UK a safer place online through increasing the security of the UK’s telecommunications infrastructure. As part of our team, you will play a pro-active role in improving the security of telecommunications networks by providing advice to customers, evaluating vendors and their products, and building collaborative relationships with our industry and government partners. These will be challenging roles, with the opportunity to work at the leading edge of telecommunications and security, with products and solutions from some of the most advanced manufacturers in the telecommunications industry.
We are looking for cyber security researchers, experienced telecommunications consultants and engineers to join our growing team and help us make the UK a safer place through increasing the security of the UK’s telecommunications infrastructure.
You will have experience in several areas such as:
• Cyber security research, including an in-depth understanding of the principles that make networks and systems secure.
• analysing the security of existing systems and may have designed more secure systems
• Knowledge of telecommunications networks and how they are managed and operated.
• being involved in defining or configuring security policies, or managing cyber security incidents
You will have a deep and genuine interest in cyber security, working knowledge of cyber security principles, ideally within a telecommunications environment.
• High-level knowledge of how telecommunications networks operate.
• Knowledge and experience of cyber security principles and how to apply them.
• Ability to deal with, influence, and communicate effectively with others
• Experience of working with and leading others
Experience or knowledge of the following:
• Telecommunications networks and their operation (i.e. knowledge of telecommunications access networks, transport infrastructure, core networks, business systems or management systems).
• Performing cyber security research (i.e. threat modelling, risk analysis, designing or analysing the security of products or protocols, or vulnerability analysis)
• Working operationally in a telecommunications provider or within a telecommunications provider’s security team.
• Configuring security functions for a telecommunications provider.
• Defining and auditing security policies within a telecommunications provider.
• Analysing the security of telecommunications standards, protocols or networks.
• Management systems, jump-boxes and audit functions.
• Practical experience resulting in the improvement of the security of systems, networks or protocols.
A technical degree at 2.1 or above would also be desirable
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
At GCHQ we’re proud of our inclusive and supportive working environment that’s designed to encourage open minds and attitudes. As an organisation that values and nurtures talent, we’re committed to helping you fulfil your potential. With comprehensive training and development opportunities, tailored to your needs and the requirements of your work, we’ll enable you to flourish in your role and perform to the very best of your abilities.
As one of Britain’s intelligence agencies, we unlock the complex world of communications to keep our nation safe. We work closely with MI5 and MI6, our partners in the intelligence community, to safeguard Britain’s people, interests and businesses from various threats. Think cyber-attacks, espionage, terrorism, and organised crime. It’s challenging, varied and meaningful work that you simply won’t find anywhere else.
Due to a need to work closely with operators, you will likely to be based at our London or Cheltenham sites.
To apply for this position, you must meet our nationality, residency and security requirements. You’ll find more details here: Recruitment Process
As users of the disability confident scheme, we also guarantee to interview all disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for our roles.
Be prepared to dedicate 60-90 minutes to completing your application. We are conscious this might be more time than you expected, so our system will allow you to save your application at any time and come back to it later. But remember to submit your full application before the closing date.
Once we have established that you meet our eligibility criteria, the next steps of this selection process are:
- Personal interview*
- Drug test
*Interviews will be held in Gloucester and London.
If you successfully complete these stages, you’ll receive a job offer, conditional upon you completing our developed vetting (DV) process which enables you to obtain the level of security clearance required to perform this vital role.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.