Computer Network Operations Specialist Ref. 1188
Our Computer Network Operations Specialists carry out computer network operations against terrorists, criminals and others who pose a serious threat to the UK. We operate under strict legal controls, safeguards and requirements set by ministers to protect national interests.
At GCHQ, we’re tasked with protecting the country’s people, businesses and interests in the cyber age. Working with colleagues in MI5, SIS (MI6) and partners ranging from the police to academia, we gather and analyse intelligence to secure IT networks, systems and data. We’re looking for someone who shares our passion for cutting edge technology and wants to make a real difference to the UK. In return, we’ll provide a competitive package, excellent development opportunities and give you the chance to build an exciting, challenging and varied career.
You’ll work in a unique environment solving diverse sets of challenges surrounded by some of the brightest minds in technology. We’re up against some of the hardest technological problems in the world, we need people who dare to think differently. We welcome applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to fill a range of roles.
- Developing software and conducting pen-testing to find security weaknesses and vulnerabilities in the computer network of a terrorist group.
- Carrying out operations to retrieve vital online clues about the location and identities of an organised crime ring.
- Working in a cyber defence team to detect and prevent attempts to attack the critical national infrastructure.
- Defending government systems against criminals seeking to steal information, identities and money.
We’ll make sure you receive tailored training to develop the right skills for the job. Our work is unique and makes a difference to the UK so we’d expect you to continue learning and developing throughout your career to keep up with changing technology.
REQUIREMENTS for these roles
To apply for a Computer Network Operations Specialist role, you’ll need:
- To have an aptitude for problem solving.
- An intuitive and curious attitude to technology, computer networks and security.
- Experience of system and network administration.
- Knowledge of operating system fundamentals.
You’ll also need to either:
- Have a 2:2 or above in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or a combination thereof (Natural Science can be considered a related/combined discipline); or a Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree incorporating ethical hacking, digital forensics or information security.
- Have a thorough understanding of internet communications protocols, including knowledge of how these protocols are commonly secured.
The closing date for applications is 1st October 2017, however if we receive the amount of applications required we may close the vacancy early.
Applicants are encouraged to apply promptly to avoid disappointment. We reserve the right to close the advert early.
SALARY – Competitive package based on qualifications and experience
INTERVIEW and SELECTION PROCESS
Following initial eligibility and technical sifts, the recruitment process will comprise a competency-based interview with technical staff and members of our HR department.
Interviews to be held in October 2017.
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.