Cyber Insights Summer School Ref. 997
GCHQ offers a unique and exciting opportunity for students considering a career in intelligence, with their 2017 Cyber Insights Summer School in Cheltenham.
The programme is designed to offer an invaluable, challenging experience for undergraduates with a keen interest in Cyber Security. To apply, you should be studying Computer Science, Maths, Physics or similar, and have a love for technology. The Summer School aims to enhance your cyber skills, and give you a real insight into how GCHQ uses innovative technologies to protect our nation. It’s about learning how your passion for tech could help protect the UK.
GCHQ is a diverse and inclusive employer, recognising the value of individual differences and embracing them - so that everyone can be themselves at work, and therefore able to give their best.
The 10-week programme is instructor-led with:
• World-class cyber experts delivering lectures/workshops and participating in discussions
• Practical learning through application on real projects, with support from subject-matter experts
• A Pastoral care process delivered in a supportive learning environment
• Online and social learning, especially for pre-learning activity and continuous learning opportunities following the Summer School
• Real-time exercises to allow students to use their new skills as individuals or via collaborative working
• Visits to the Headquarters of GCHQ
Students will receive approximately £250 a week (based on a 5-day week attendance) paid in arrears, and accommodation will also be provided and paid for.
Skills & requirements:
You’ll have a natural aptitude for problem solving, and be able to write basic code in at least one computer language e.g. C, Python, Java or MatLab.
You must be studying for your first degree, with an interest in a number of relevant cyber-focused areas (e.g. programming, networking, online security), and be graduating between summers 2017-2020.
• Be on track for a minimum 2:2 degree in Computer Science, Physics, Engineering or Maths, a combination of or a closely related course. (If you are unsure whether you qualify, please contact us.)
• Be willing to sign the Official Secrets Act and undergo security clearance
• Be available for 10 weeks in Cheltenham – 3rd July 2017 to 8th September 2017 (Cheltenham is geographically located within an hour’s journey of Birmingham and Bristol and within a couple of hours of Manchester and London)
• Be a British national
• Be resident in the UK for +5 years
At the end of your placement (and depending on your performance), you could be considered for the Student Scheme for Technologists, Industry Year Placements or permanent employment at GCHQ under the Computer Network Operations Specialist (CNOS) role. CNOS details can be found at www.gchq-careers.co.uk/departments/computer-network-operations.html
INTERVIEW and SELECTION PROCESS
As part of this campaign you’ll be required to undergo a staged selection process including:
• A minimum eligibility sift to include your University course details
Closing date for applications: Monday 6th February 2017 at 23:00
Interviews will be in several UK locations between: 13th – 31st March 2017
The Summer School will take place between 3rd July 2017 to 8th September 2017
If you are eligible to apply, please click on the Apply button and make next summer your Cyber Insights Summer of Learning.
All potential applicants are encouraged to read GCHQ’s Recruitment Process criteria and understand our policy around drug usage found here
This Program / Vacancy is closed to applications.